Oct 14, 2013

Sweet scent.

Helped my sister baked chocolate chip cookies today.

This time, I was the sous chef and my sister was the chef. Okay now. If a chef is reading this post (which is very unlikely but it'd be cool if it really happens), the chef will probably say what is this girl messing around with the title chef. I know...I know. I have respect for chefs around the world. I think these people are one of a kind. Not to mention that it takes a lot to be a real chef and to me, at least, just being a sous chef is already an honor.


Anyway, it's just our custom when we bake. I'll say who's who before we start baking. Because usually, the sous chef needs to do all the washing after all is done, hehehe. You probably don't know this yet so yea I love baking. Cooking in general. I enjoy cooking some dishes but when it comes to baking, I just...I somehow think it's a relaxation time when I'm baking. It's therapeutic, you know.


I usually don't make cookies. I don't know why. Usually, I bake cupcakes, cakes or muffins. Maybe baking cookies is not my thing. It's nice to learn a new recipe this time. Let me tell you my experience when it comes to baking. Firstly, maths is involved. Usually, the recipes that I copy come from western countries. We know how the measurement system is different to convert Fahrenheit to degree Celsius, stick of butter to gram, ounces to gram, cup to gram. But thanks to a set of pink measuring cups that my other sister bought for me, converting measurement has become easier than ever! But I still need to do the maths before I start baking.


Next, it takes a lot of practices to get the right skill. So far, I've baked cakes quite a few numbers of times yet I'm still trying to figure out when to stop creaming the butter and sugar. I always view technical skill as an art and baking is also counted. It's an art; how you mix certain ingredients together and voila, a mixture of pure happiness! That's why I think those chefs around the globe are amazing. They're able to learn such delicate skills and art. There's science in baking, actually. Some chefs even think of scientific explanation when cooking. For example, mixing cannot be done overly because then the air that gets into the batter will affect the outcome. So...hats off, chefs!


When I was 9, I asked my mother can a chef owns a ph.D? That time I wanted to get a ph.D and become a chef. Now, that is dream is somewhere else, though. For the chef part only, the ph.D is still in consideration. Anyway, I do enjoy watching cooking show. I love watching Chuck's Day Off, Jamie Oliver's shows especially his 30-minute meal show, ummm...and a few other cooking shows. Speaking of 30-minute meal, Jamie Oliver is a genius! He could prepare a complete 4-course meal in the same time I could prepare a slice of sandwich for myself! I 'd really like to master the art of cutting using knife. I've always become so fascinated with their knife skills. And the terms used to describe different types of cutting; julienne, chiffonade and not to mention the varieties of dicing.

 Before I get too overwhelm writing about this, I better stop now. I bet you don't want to read about me writing how noodle-makers have such high skills to be able to master the fine art of making noodles. Lastly (I promise I'll stop after this, hihi), there's this master at Japan who makes soba noodles, daily by hands. The precision in making soba noodles is beautiful.

Yes, they have to cut the soba noodles thinly like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment