Oct 1, 2013

Nobelist Mindset Workshop 2.

Just finished LA class~

So, yesterday I was told that I got to be one of the participant for Nobelist Mindset Workshop 2. Yes, that actually means leaving classes for a week yet assignments still needed to be done and at the same time, must start revising topics for exams. Oh, not to mention the long due proposal for Jati Diri, kerohanian activities, personal development and some other stuff. Well, life of a student. Plus, in Islam, really life is a short stop before the eternal life. A senior of mine once said that it is during this life that we should be tired. Hmm, wise words.

So, about Nobelist Mindset Workshop. I'm in Prof. Noriah's class. Such an inspiring lady she is. Today in class, she showed us the one of the only 1000 copies in this world, of Charles Darwin's notes on Evolution. His handwriting was not very legible but still, it's very nice to see his notes. I don't really believe in his theory but getting to see his notes is just nice. You get that feeling of connectedness to the past, somehow.

Then, during the afternoon, we had to think of a research problems. Sounds easy, yes but not really. Hillary (a scientist from New York Academy of Science) told us that literally, no jokes, the minimum time spent for a scientist to do some searching before actually doing the research is two months. Some even do searching for 5 months. They spend all those months, every single day, reading other's works. Or we call it literature review. I'm not into pure science much, sorry to say but I'm more into social science. Thus, I chose psycholinguistics for my area of interest. Yes, I do find pure Biology very interesting until I sometimes float around thinking 'whoaa, that's just awesome' but to do a research based on Biology......., naaahh. I don't know why. I've tried to come up with something but it was just for vain. Nothing much change after that. So, social science it is.

This morning, Richard Roberts, a Nobel prize winner came to give a talk. He collaboratively with another guy did a research on 'gene splits' which has helped us to understand genes better. Alas, I wasn't able to attend his talk. I puked yesterday evening, had a fever last night and stomach ache. This morning I went to PK feeling a little bit better. By the time I came back from PK, the talk was almost over. It was held Bilik Seminar 2 and a source told me that only the front door was open. It would be very awkward if we just enter like that so we entered class at 11.30pm.

Alright, what else? Hmmm, let me see. Nothing interesting worthy of typing happen after that. It's just the same 'ol stuff, assignments and exams. I guess you have to bear with me 'cause I might write about the work that I have in every single blog post. Haha. I don't know what that means.

'Till then people, finish up your assignments and take care of your health! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment